Traveling Safely: Your Guide to Motorcycle Tours in the COVID-19 Era
The go-to resource for planning your motorcycle tours and holidays. Find all you need to know about the top destinations, and routes to make your biking dreams come true.
Discover Motorcycle Tours now
There’s no denying that 2020 has been a rocky road. The need to hit the road, disconnect, and recharge is now greater than ever.
The global pandemic has affected all aspects of modern life. From grinding to a complete stop to reopening with restrictions in place, travel has seen one of the biggest shifts in 2020.
People turned their attention to their own backyard, and domestic travel has taken center stage. Not surprisingly, outdoor and wellness travel have seen a surge in popularity.
After many months of ups and downs, most of us can’t wait to get away from it all and have a change of scenery. An adventure-packed motorcycle tour may just be the escape that we’ve been waiting for.
That said, 2020 has left many people wondering whether it’s safe to go on a motorcycle tour or not. Or even travel at all. The mere thought of travel planning right now is riddled with a lot of questions.
This useful guide is designed to help you plan, book, and enjoy a motorcycle tour safely in the COVID-19 era. Below, you’ll find insights on:
- An overview of travel in the time of coronavirus
- What has changed on motorcycle tours?
- How can I feel safe on a motorcycle tour?
- What are my safest options?
- What if my plans change due to COVID-19?
Note: We strongly advise you to check your local embassy and/or your destination’s official government websites for the travel restrictions in the area you plan to visit prior to booking.
An overview of travel in the time of coronavirus
Since the reopening of certain borders around the globe, we now have a general idea of what traveling in the COVID-19 era looks like. While each country does have its own rules, here’s what you can expect when traveling internationally:
- A negative PCR test might be necessary upon entry into a foreign country, taken, most often, no later than 72 hours prior to the flight.
- If you are unable to take one before you leave home, you may opt to be tested upon arrival and wait out the results in quarantine, should a test be required.
- In certain countries, travelers are required to have their temperature checked and complete a health & travel questionnaire.
- Providing proof of travel plans (accommodation, tours, etc.) might be required upon entry.
- Quarantine may be imposed for up to 14 days in certain countries.
- Providing proof of travel insurance is required in some countries. Ideally, it should cover medical issues, COVID-related claims, and pre-existing medical conditions.
- Wearing masks might be mandatory in all public spaces, including common spaces, both indoors and outdoors.
- Travelers showing COVID-19 symptoms will be placed under quarantine.
- Physical distancing is required at all times and in all places, except when you’re only with your travel companions.
- In some destinations, if you’re traveling solo, you can stay in private rooms only. If you’re traveling with your companions, you can share a room. In some cases, if you’re not traveling with your own group and would like to share a room, you might be required to have a negative PCR test taken up to 72 hours before your arrival.
What has changed on motorcycle tours?
Image credit: RIM Adventures LLC
There’s no doubt that motorcycle tours look differently in the COVID-19 era. Travelers and tour organizers alike have learned to be flexible and adapt to the new situation.
As soon as restrictions were eased in certain destinations, numerous motorcycle tours went to great lengths to provide a safe and enjoyable experience for their guests.
The organizers have adhered to the local safety protocols and are monitoring the COVID-19 situation in their area. For starters, you’ll find that many of these tours have limited the maximum number of participants, thus ensuring peace of mind for those seeking a safe escape.
Although extra safety measures are being taken, the main focus on these tours hasn’t changed. They remain an opportunity to hit the wide-open road, explore new countries. The entire experience is still centered around riding freely, seeing new places from a different perspective, and enjoying the good company.
How can I feel safe on a motorcycle tour? Clean & safe tours
Image credit: Beyond the Standard
While all motorcycle tours have to comply with the general COVID-19 protocols in order to remain operational, some guarantee that they have implemented a number of measures to ensure high standards of health and hygiene, thus preventing and controlling the spread of the virus.
These tours are tagged “clean & safe” on our BookMotorcycleTours.com website.
These motorcycle holidays take the health of their guests and team very seriously. They focus on extra cleanliness and the best practices to create a safe environment, as much as possible, from the moment you arrive at the starting point and meet your guides to the accommodation, riding gear, and everything in between.
We highly recommend opting for motorcycle tours with the “clean & safe” tag, which guarantee participants that they have adhered to the special health and hygiene protocols implemented by the local government. These measures can differ from one destination to the other, and may include (but are not limited to):
- The tours use cleaning chemicals that are effective against coronavirus.
- Linens, towels, and laundry are washed according to the local authority guidelines.
- Guest accommodation is disinfected between stays.
- Communal and high-touch areas are regularly disinfected throughout the day.
- If you use the tour’s riding gear, the equipment is disinfected between guests.
- Cashless payment is available.
- Physical distancing is maintained.
- Instructors maintain a safe distance from the client.
- The staff follows all safety protocols as directed by the local government.
- Hand sanitizer is available in guest rooms and key areas.
- Process in place to check the health of guests.
- First aid kit available.
- A room is available to isolate suspected or infected COVID-19 patients.
- Protective masks are available for all staff.
- Protective masks are available for clients.
Note: When attending a motorcycle tour only with your travel companions, the social distancing requirements when touring and dining will be slightly different.
What are my safest options?
Even though most motorcycle tours have complied with the general COVID-19 regulations, there are certain traveling options that are safer than others. For example, you can choose to go on a motorcycle tour closer to home, travel with your own group and join a private tour, or opt to spend more time outdoors.
Go on a motorcycle tour closer to home
You don’t have to venture halfway around the globe to feel the wind in your hair as you hit the road against sweeping sceneries.
The global pandemic has encouraged everyone to travel closer to home. So why not take this opportunity to discover the beauty in your own backyard, explore a destination in your country that you’ve never been to before, or see the familiar with new eyes?
Aside from the safety reasons, there are other benefits of traveling closer to home. Planning transportation is a lot easier, there’s little to no jet lag, and overall, you’ll save time and money.
Simply go to BookMotorcycleTours.com and browse motorcycle tours that are closest to your current location.
Image credit: Planet Way Round
Are you considering traveling with your friends or family in a small group? For an extra level of comfort, safety, and privacy, you can opt for a private tour.
These are group tours taken to the next level – fully customizable and tailored to your specific needs. There’ll be minimum contact with those outside the group you’re traveling with. It’ll be just you, your private group, and guides throughout your trip.
Furthermore, the social distancing requirements when dining and riding will be slightly different from a regular tour where people outside your group might attend.
One of the most valuable lessons the global pandemic has taught us is to never underestimate the healing power of nature. In 2020, more people chose to relax in nature, quite a significant increase compared to pre-lockdown.
It goes without saying that social distancing is a lot easier in the great outdoors. Furthermore, when you’re outside, fresh air is constantly moving, dispersing the respiratory droplets that can carry the virus.
Being outdoors has numerous other benefits, including boosting your mood, relieving tension, lowering stress, and fighting depression, as well as giving your body a good dose of vitamin D, which is known to increase immunity.
Thankfully, motorcycle tours take place outside and there’s little to no interaction with other people while you ride. But what if you could limit the interaction when you’re not riding as well?
On a motorcycle camping trip, you can ride through remote areas, far from the crowds, without having to worry about finding accommodation. This way, there’ll be limited contact with those outside the group you’re riding with.
» READ MORE: The First-Timer’s Guide to Motorcycle Camping
What if my plans change due to COVID-19? Flexible booking conditions
Concerned that your plans may change due to COVID-19? Thanks to BookMotorcycleTours.com’s flexible booking conditions, you can reschedule your booking for free or receive your non-refundable deposit as a voucher and re-book anytime.
Reschedule your tour
If new travel restrictions are put in place and you need to cancel or postpone your trip, you can change the dates of your motorcycle tour. Contact our customer service team or the tour organizer to inquire about the other available dates.
Book a different tour or trip
If you or the tour organizer is not able to reschedule your motorcycle holiday, you can book a different tour or trip in whichever location you choose. Simply use your deposit to book the new holiday.
Receive credit & book any trip later
If you are unsure whether you can travel or when, you can convert your non-refundable deposit into store credit. This way, you can use the credit for any vacation that we have available on any of our themed travel websites, such as yoga retreats, meditation retreats, surf camps, horse riding holidays, safaris, wellness holidays, and more.